Paternity Representation: Legal Assistance For Mothers And Fathers


In Florida, paternity proceedings establish legal parenthood. They serve as the foundation for child support and custody rights.

When is a paternity case necessary? Questions surrounding paternity usually come into play when children are born to unmarried parents. For example, as a mother, you may want your child to have a meaningful relationship with his or her father, and you may wish to claim your legal right to child support.

As a father, you may wish to establish a parent-child relationship and secure visitation (time-sharing) rights. Simply signing a birth certificate for the child does not amount to an official paternity declaration if you aren’t married to the mother. Alternatively, perhaps you are seeking to dispute paternity of a child you don’t believe is yours.

Either the mother or father may initiate paternity proceedings.

Seeking To Establish Or Challenge Paternity?

Paternity, child support and parental responsibility (child custody) are closely intertwined. At Winter Spires & Associates, P.A., in Destin, we are familiar with the many nuances of Florida family law when it comes to these foundational issues. Our attorney, Winter Spires, represents both mothers and fathers in paternity cases.

People from diverse walks of life turn to us for legal guidance on sensitive family issues. We uphold the highest standards of integrity, confidentiality and professionalism. Our experienced lawyer and staff members can assist you with all stages of the proceedings, including filing the appropriate documentation and securing the evidence necessary to support your position (such as paternity DNA tests). Ms. Spires can also serve as your voice in court, leveraging her strong background as a trial lawyer to advance your interests.

For more information about how we can help you, please call 850-502-2241 or contact us online to arrange a private consultation. We have convenient offices in Destin and Marianna. Flexible appointment hours are available by request.

Practice Areas

Florida Family Law

Real Estate &



Debt &

How Can We Help You?